WINGRIDDS - Animation bug

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
ncwxman

WINGRIDDS - Animation bug

Post by ncwxman »

Hello Jeff,

Hope all is well. WINGRIDDS is AWESOME!

I have found a bug when running a macro with the ANFA command. When clicking on Windows Explorer in the task bar while running a macro with the ANFA (Animate Forecast Hours) command, the window becomes part of the animation for as long as it is the selected window. This has happened several times.

AWINGRIDDS log file: http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/n/c/nckev/W ... GRIDDS.LOG

Thank you,

Kevin
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Hey Kevin,

Sorry but that is not a bug, that is a...er...feature. You see, the process of building the animation, to speed the final animation viewing up, WINGRIDDS (and PCGRIDDS32) does a 'snapshot' of the screen and saves it as a .BMP file in the Animation directory. WINGRIDDS does a snapshot of the viewing area but it is basicly the same. Whatever is on the screen gets captured in the animation process.

So, the lesson is, when the program is building the animation, don't go do anything else with the computer that affects the display or it will get 'caught up' in the action. Sorry, that is how the routines in the libraries I'm using
are written.

Thanks,
Jeff
ncwxman

Thank you

Post by ncwxman »

Jeff,

Ok. Thank you for the info. The thought had crossed my mind that this was just the way it is. No big deal. I just chill out while it builds the animation hence forth and forever more.

Thanks again,

Kevin
geophi

Post by geophi »

Jeff,

It would definitely be a good thing to put in the documentation about capturing anything onscreen at the time.

I also wonder if there isn't a specific window capture function in Visual Fortran (or whatever is being used to create the temporary files). For example in basic Windows functionality, the PrintScrn key will capture the entire screen into the clipboard. Alt-PrintScrn will capture just the highlighted window. Is there anyway to capture a window titled "WINGRIDDS"? Just a question, I'm sure don't have the answer.

George
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

George,

I'm not exactly sure I understand what it is you want. Within Compaq Visual Fortran (the compiler I'm using) the function to save the screen contents to a Bitmap file is SAVEIMAGE & within Winteracter (the environment/libraries I'm using for the Win32 GUI), the function is IGrSaveImage. For both of these functions, you define the screen area of the program window you want saved (all of the area, which is what I use, or specific area coordinates) and you define the file nale to save it to. Both of these work within the confines of the application & cannot save the contents (screen or otherwise) of any other applications. Since Windows controls everything on the screen, it can save anything on the screen.

Reguards,
Jeff
geophi

Post by geophi »

I just wondered if there was a functionality somewhere within visual fortran that would grab just the contents of the Wingridds window, instead of the window and anything overlaid. But there must not be.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

George,

I'm sorry, but I still don't quite understand what it is you want. PCGRIDDS32/WINGRIDDS (the WINGRIDDS version is broke in the Alpha release but it will work in the next one) has the command SAVS to save the current windows contents to a BMP file. What, again, is it you are asking for that SAVS does not do?

Thanks,
Jeff