image overlay basics

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Mercator is a type of map projection.

I suppose it would help if I knew exactly what types of images you want to use as a basemap. Maybe we will be able to find one that'll fit, although getting projections to match exactly is often kinda tough.

Pat
skyspotter24347

Post by skyspotter24347 »

I am mostly looking for forecast model images that I can use as basemaps for DAWS. Any help would be much obliged!
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Generate a map in Fusion using the following:

Projection = Orthographic
Lat = 38.250
Long = -95.700
Scale = 4100.000
Image Width = 895
Image Height = 716
X = 0, .992
Y = 0, 1
Rotation = 9

Import one of the NAM (or most other model) images from here:
http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/models.html#eta

This isn't an exact fit, but is pretty close as far as the US portion is concerned in most areas. The basemap has to be created using Fusion as a rotation is necessary (see the Fusion beta testing portion of the forum for download instructions).

I'll keep looking around to see if there are other, hopefully regional, model views that match Digital Atmosphere projections a little closer than these do.

Pat
skyspotter24347

Okay, I don't have Fusion...do you know where I can get the download at? I looked, but the return page's download came back "file not found."
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

http://www.weathergraphics.com/beta/

Unless something is screwy with you connection at the moment, the download links are working well. What link did you try that produced a "return page" file not found error? If something is wrong in some areas Tim might want to know about it.

Pat
skyspotter24347

http://weathergraphics.com/forum/viewto ... ght=fusion

The link at the bottom of this page was the one that gave me trouble. I have tried both my home and university connections, and still get that error. Your link works fine though. Thanks. Let me try this out...
skyspotter24347

Wow! That works really good. Thanks! Now how did you generate the map? Did you just have to fiddle w/ it until you got the right lat./long/ and the aspect ratios, etc?

Also, do I have to have the pro version of DAWS to get rid of the eval. version of Fusion?
skyspotter24347

skyspotter24347 wrote:Wow! That works really good. Thanks! Now how did you generate the map? Did you just have to fiddle w/ it until you got the right lat./long/ and the aspect ratios, etc?
Does anyone have any other generated satellite/model maps they would share. I can't seem to get anything to line up in DAWS, so anyone with data that will generate basemaps for ANY satellites or models would greatly be obliged!! :)
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

George Kasica done up a bunch of basemaps and made them available on his site:

http://saturn.netwrx1.com/DAWS/Basemaps-and-Scripts/

You'll need both the *.dmf and the *bmp files. The first part of the file's name will be indentical.

Edit I believe George created these in DA WS, so it would be wise to only use them in DA WS, not Fusion. The basemap settings between DA WS and Fusion aren't the most "compatible" at the moment.

Pat
skyspotter24347

So how do you save the .dmf file. I can save the .bmp file to the DAWS program files folder, but the .dmf file is another thing.

Also, where does the satellite images come from? Where would I get those to import?

-AP-