Map resolution

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
britbob

Map resolution

Post by britbob »

Guys,

Regarding the map sizes, are these fixed depending on what screen resolution we are using, or can the width be changed for example? I`ve been plotting some GFS mslp/thickness charts, but I`m not too fond of the letterbox style result. Just wondering if the overall maps can be squared up somehow? I`m running 1024x768.

I have changed pallete setting to use a white background, is there a way to change the background colour of the legend/time block in the top left corner. It stays as black?

Overall Wingridds is a fantastic product. Thankyou for bringing out such a tool Jeff. You`ve made a lot of weather geeks very happy :)
ncwxman

Post by ncwxman »

Bob,

You can change the AREA that you want to view by entering the following in the command line.

AREA 60 90 43 = AREA is the command to set the center point of the map you want to view. Next is your latitude (60) and longitude (90) and display distance in degrees (43) will give you a view of most of Canada. Play around with the AREA command.

As far as the text box in the upper left corner, I don't think you or I can change that. Jeff, your thoughts are need here on this one.

Bob, Not sure what you meant by
letterbox style
. Do you mean the font of the contour diplay labels? Might be something Jeff can change down the road after he gets the first "offical" release of WINGRIDDS behind him. Jeff does have plans to add many features to WINGRIDDS in the future. All things in time. :wink:

Regards,

Kevin
britbob

Post by britbob »

Jeff,

I appreciate this is probably not possible due to limitations in the development software etc. I wondering if a map size option was possible some how?

Ie: We could produce and export images in the general web standard sizes of 640x480 and 800x600?

Thanks.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Bob,

The only way to 'export' images in those resolutions is for the screen itself to be at those resolutions. I don't know of any way to 'reduce down' a large area screen image because, mainly, the fonts would be so small, they would not be readable. If you notice, reguardless of the screen resolution, the map area is the same but the fonts 'do' change in size (the smaller the screen resolution, the larger the font size). If you know of a way to reduce the resolution of a screen image but increase the font size in which could be incorporated into WINGRIDDS, I'm open to ideas.

Also, it was always my line of thinking, if you want to create screen shots for a web site, you would always be doing the same things every time but with different data files & therefore, you could use the automation portion of WINGRIDDS & you should not care what the screen size is.

Thanks,
Jeff