HELP HELP HELP !!!

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
Ian

HELP HELP HELP !!!

Post by Ian »

HI ALL,

I have just downloaded WINGRIDDS, have loads and loads of trouble, got to the stage of donloading grib, and ingest, but when i try to see some results, most of the time the program crashes. DOH.

Trying to find the correct lat and long to map is also hard to do, when i mange to get europe on my screen it crashes again.

In fact i spend more time pressing Crt-Alt-del, then i do forecasting.

I have started to read the manuel, but after following it this still happens. Also the latest relaese, bug fixs 2.1 does not have any instalation notes with it.

Please help, i have been waiting a long time for a program like this, and would really like to get it to work

Regards

Ian
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

>HI ALL,

Welcome Ian,

>
>I have just downloaded WINGRIDDS, have loads and loads of trouble, >got to the stage of donloading grib, and ingest, but when i try to see >some results, most of the time the program crashes. DOH.

WOW...I'm sorry you are having such a tough time but for me to help, you will need to be specific about some things you are doing.

>
>Trying to find the correct lat and long to map is also hard to do, when i >mange to get europe on my screen it crashes again.

Are you located in Europe? If that is the case, what GRIB files are you downloading & trying to use? You need to ensure you are using a GRIB file with a grid which covers your part of the world.

>
>In fact i spend more time pressing Crt-Alt-del, then i do forecasting.

You need to include a copy of the AWINGRIDDS.LOG file which shows details about your actions within WINGRIDDS.

>
>I have started to read the manuel, but after following it this still happens. >Also the latest relaese, bug fixs 2.1 does not have any instalation notes >with it.

The Installation instructions for the WINGRIDDS Beta 2.1 Update are in the body of the information message announcing the release... (download the file & unzip it in the WINGRIDDS Directory. That is all).

>
>Please help, i have been waiting a long time for a program like this, and >would really like to get it to work

Like I said, I'm sorry for your trouble & I'll need much more detail in order to help, but I'm sure we'll get you going.

Good luck,
Jeff Krob
WINGRIDDS System Developer

>
>Regards
>
>Ian
LocoAko

re: ECMWF

Post by LocoAko »

Hello :) I decided not to start my own thread if this is the "help!" thread.

The downloader seems to be going crazy, but someone (sorry I forgot) helped me figure out in another thread how to do it manually. I haven't done that too much, but I like using the downloader becuase then I can do animations.

Either way, when I use teh downloader AND manually for the ECMWF data (using the link on the USER data file) it downloads fine, and I ingest it fine as far as i know (I use Regular processing).... and it changes to a something.ONEDEG file... but when I try to open it the file name flashes at the top and then the program completely freezes. This happens everytime I try it.

I particularly want ECMWF data but this also happened with NOGAPS data (and GFS and NAM... but those seem to be different). Any idea how to import it successfully?
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

>Hello Smile I decided not to start my own thread if this is the "help!" >thread.

Oh...sure...

>
>The downloader seems to be going crazy, but someone (sorry I forgot) >helped me figure out in another thread how to do it manually. I haven't >done that too much, but I like using the downloader becuase then I can >do animations.

Have you updated to Beta 2.1? Are there still problems with it? If so, could you be more specific than just "...going crazy"

You can do animations even if you download manually.

>
>Either way, when I use teh downloader AND manually for the ECMWF >data (using the link on the USER data file) it downloads fine, and I ingest >it fine as far as i know (I use Regular processing).... and it changes to a >something.ONEDEG file... but when I try to open it the file name flashes >at the top and then the program completely freezes. This happens >everytime I try it.

As with the other message, I need to see your AWINGRIDDS.LOG file see what you did and to make sense of what you are saying.

>
>I particularly want ECMWF data but this also happened with NOGAPS data >(and GFS and NAM... but those seem to be different). Any idea how to >import it successfully?

As for ECMWF GRIB data, unless you have signed the agreement with them & paid for the data, you will not get much. European GRIB files come under the catagory of "restricted data". There is more UKMET than there is ECMWF but, either way, there should be no reason your system is freezing when you open a data file unless you have not converted the GRIB files first.

Like I said, I need to see your NGRB2PCG32.LOG & AWINGRIDDS.LOG files.

Thanks,
Jeff
LocoAko

re:

Post by LocoAko »

Well, I'm happy becuase I just succesfully imported NOGAPS data. :lol: So I'll be playing around with this for quite a while.

I'm guessing the ECMWF grids are restricted to basically what is on their website? That's alright.

I have my log but it is EXTREMELY long. Should I PM you the entire thing or just the last portion of it? I have the NOGAPS data in there so the problem doesn't lie in the last sections of it. And I also can't find my
NGRB2PCG32.LOG . I'm sorry for being so naive.

And yes, I do have the new 2.1 (the NOGAPS data I got was from the new one you added :)). I downloaded the ECMWF data (it happens from any server I use or even if I do it manually). I ingest it and it goes very quickly but I figured that's because the files are so small. When I downlaod it with the downloader included nothing shows up in my GRIDDATA thing for me to open. When I do it manually the same file I put into the NWS folder is there and when I open it, the file nam (that appears in yellow in the top right hand corner that changes to what resolution data is being used) flashes very quickly and then the program locks up.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

OK - I've done some playing around with ECMWF GRIB files from the NCEP Server & there is a problem with grid 002 projection. If, once the data has been ingested, you do a AREA 0 0 0 command (to show the full grid area), you will see the grid area is 'squashed' to the bottom of the screen. You can still plot any data which is there (UGRD 850, VGRD 850, HGHT 500...that's all)
and the data will show on the screen but not over the grid map.

I found that WINGRIDDS is getting the ECMWF grid 2 mixed up with WAFS grid data & is messing up the map porjection. This has been fixed & I am planning another Beta release (2.2) out around the 15th.

There is another bug I found in the process. The File listing dialog only shows data for Forecast Hour 0 instead of reflecting the current forecast hour. This will be fixed as well.

Also...the UKMET GRIB data from NCEP will not process because it's data grid layout is 'irregular' & NGRB2PCG32/WINGRIDDS cannot handle irregularly spaced data. All the grid data *must* be evenly spaced N/S & E/W. I should not have included the NCEP UKMET. I will see ifi can patition NCEP to remap that data to an even-spaced grid.

Thanks,
Jeff Krob

PS - would it be possible to include at least your first name in your messages so I have some idea of whom I am talking to ? ;-)
LocoAko

re:

Post by LocoAko »

Oh sorry, lol. I'm Jacob.

So basically the ECMWF isn't working for now until the new release? I did the AREA 0 0 0 thing but I'm still not seeing the ECMWF file to even open... I downloaded the 12Z data and ingested it and nothing... I even downloaded the file myself from ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST ... rid_DF.bb/ and it's not in there. :?

And that's alright about hte UKMET data.
Weasel

Re: re:

Post by Weasel »

LocoAko wrote:Oh sorry, lol. I'm Jacob.
Hi, Jacob. Better than calling you Loco :)

Pat
Ian

Post by Ian »

jkrob wrote:>HI ALL,

Welcome Ian,

>
>I have just downloaded WINGRIDDS, have loads and loads of trouble, >got to the stage of donloading grib, and ingest, but when i try to see >some results, most of the time the program crashes. DOH.

WOW...I'm sorry you are having such a tough time but for me to help, you will need to be specific about some things you are doing.

>
>Trying to find the correct lat and long to map is also hard to do, when i >mange to get europe on my screen it crashes again.

Are you located in Europe? If that is the case, what GRIB files are you downloading & trying to use? You need to ensure you are using a GRIB file with a grid which covers your part of the world.

>
>In fact i spend more time pressing Crt-Alt-del, then i do forecasting.

You need to include a copy of the AWINGRIDDS.LOG file which shows details about your actions within WINGRIDDS.

>
>I have started to read the manuel, but after following it this still happens. >Also the latest relaese, bug fixs 2.1 does not have any instalation notes >with it.

The Installation instructions for the WINGRIDDS Beta 2.1 Update are in the body of the information message announcing the release... (download the file & unzip it in the WINGRIDDS Directory. That is all).

>
>Please help, i have been waiting a long time for a program like this, and >would really like to get it to work

Like I said, I'm sorry for your trouble & I'll need much more detail in order to help, but I'm sure we'll get you going.

Good luck,
Jeff Krob

>
>Regards
>
>Ian

Hi Jeff, thanks for replying

If i start with what i hope to achive by running wingridds i think this will give a clearer picture.

I own and operate and wx web site in the UK displaying wx details for the UK and Europe.
I use daws to display live wx details, with runs of it own server in my shed.
I would like to do the same, but with wingridds for grib data, displaying GFS and UKMO forecasts as images/maps.

I think alot of the trouble i had yesturday was me rushing things, having a cold and not much sleep.

This is a log of events i was doing.

Open wingridds
Downloaded GFS WAFS oct I, i think this is the one i needed to cover europe.
Converted girb to oct I and per menu option
The map which came up was for the whole globe
tried to move Zoom in on europe, and it just kept zooming in on current location.
tried to generate MLSP and per menu option, then it crashed.
I think i need to play around with the program for a little way to get the hang of it.
Also could not convert UKMO grib, i downloaded UKMO, but when went to convert grib, noghting happen, then crashed.

I will send a copy of log later on.

What i need this program to do for me is in auto;
Download GFS grib data
convert grib
generate chosen images and forecast hour, then i can auto upload to website.

Do you have some sample scripts to get me going, like in daws, i can normally figure it out from these.

Kindest regards

Ian
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Ian,

Most if not all the things you wish to do, WINGRIDDS should be able to do fine. We just have to get you going. A few thoughts:

1) Octant I is the correct sector for Europe. When converting the WAFS GRIB files, ensure you are selecting the area which coincides with the area you downloaded. For example, with only Octant I, you do not want to select:

WFG - GLOBE Centered on Greenwich (Octants=OPMNKLIJ)

Instead, you need to select:

WI1 - AREA between 30W to 60E and 0N to 90N (Octants=I)

2) What is the name of the PCG Data file you are wishing to open & view which is giving you all the trouble?

Many international organizations are using PCGRIDDS32 (WINGRIDDS works exactly the same but with a different user interface) with WAFS data so I'm sure it will work for you, we just need to get your operations down correctly.

Good luck,
Jeff