Re: Wingridds beta 1.2

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
severe storm_forecaster

Re: grids

Post by severe storm_forecaster »

Kevin:

Thanks for the warm welcome, but I hope Jeff is not peeved at me because of my earlier post. Sometimes, I can fly off the handle when things don't work as they should, and then just want to dump everything. I just need to be more patient and read the instructions more.

Anyway, any suggestions on what to do with all those files downloaded?
I don't really have much space left on my HD, and was wondering what I should do with them.

Randy
britbob

Post by britbob »

There`s a filtering option in the Nomads directories that let you pick and choose which fields/parameters you wish to download. That way you don`t have to download the full grib datasets, you just download what you need to use.
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Randy,

No Problem. Just remember, if you need help & can not find the answers in the Users Guide (*do* check the Users Guide, first), please be thurough in describing your problem or situation so we can be of the most help. Just be considerate of us other folk. Like I tell my wife...communicate, communicate, communicate. I can't read your mind ;-)

As for you disk space & what to do with the files...which files are you refering to...the downloaded GRIB files or the converted PCG files? Once the GRIB files have been converted, they are of no more use & can be deleted. Of course, it is your call when the PCG files can be deleted.

It really sounds like you need a larger hard drive & drives ($/Mb) are CHEAP!!! With WINGRIDDS, you are in the big leagues now & working with potentialy some seriously large data sets.

I'm sure you will do fine.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Lon Curtis

Post by Lon Curtis »

Jeff,
The more I use it, the more I like it. I do agree that disk storage is likely to be a big issue for some folks, and I don't think there's anything YOU (Jeff) can do about that. For example, the 84-hour NAM (Grid 218) in 3-hour increments produced a GRID file that was ~97 mb (that's megabytres, not millibars) this morning. Going to 6-hour or 12-hour time increments will help, but you lose time-based resolution doing that.
Thanks a million for the work you're doing on this project!
Lon
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Jeff,

I agree with, Lon! Thanks a million for making this more user friendly in the Windows environment. It is great to have a Windows program that handles the NAM 218 with ease!

Pat