Equinox V1.05 released

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Equinox V1.05 released

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Equinox V1.05 has been released. Here are the changes:

* A few new Mexican radars in the northwest provinces have been added to DIGATMOS.RDY. Not all radars are active, as Mexico's radar network is not reliable.

* Internet > Retrieve shows how many items are selected.

* Map > Overlay > Points now uses a more capable file format. See below... I did not add this to the Help file in time for V1.05 but it will be in V1.06 documentation.

* Map > Overlay > Points now prompts for a filename. Editing is no longer done in the program as editing flow was unclear.

* Contour labels are now plotted at the top of closed contours.

* Removed digatmos.ptt from project; it is superfluous.

* Adjusted digatmos.nex to put clear air mode on the same palette as precipitation mode to allow for a standardized mosaic.

* Entering "------" for a color in digatmos.nex keeps that color level from plotting. This can be used to allow for a unified mosaic color scheme.

* Added code to prevent Digital Atmosphere from generating zero-value serial numbers.

* Added handling for METAR unknown precipitation (UP). This will plot as two solidii (//) and will carry weather code 100. I saw lots of UP reports from Texas during the January 15 2007 sleet event; UP is most likely sleet.

* Changes made to WSR-88D plotting module to allow various raster data (most notably Composite Reflectivity) to plot correctly. The module now determines polygon positioning based on the number of rows in the raster table as well as the resolution for the product as defined in digatmos.nxc. Also added progress bar updating on raster data.

* In Radar > (product) logic is added to detect and discard old radar scans so as not to mess up mosaics. An RPG product that is more than 15 minutes older than the preceding RPG products being plotted as part of the current plot pass will be discarded and a message will appear in the status window showing it was discarded. The weakness is if the plotted site is the very first to be plotted, it will be used since no other comparisions are available.

* A tutorial has been added for the Radar > Import Image menu option on how to add radars , using the example of Durban, South Africa. This will be of considerable interest to international users.

* Started preliminary work on importing GRIB2 data . This module does not work and will not plot, however the file will be handled with probably no errors since now the module is actually looking for GRIB2 data and separating it from the GRIB1 data.

* Muted menu colors slightly to reduce blue and red saturation.

MAP MENU
Add point

Overlays a specified point on your map from a given file. Point files should have the filename xxxxx.pls, where xxxxx is any name.

Coordinate pairs are in the format LAT LONG. Points may be defined in DDMMSSX DDMMSSX format (where X is N, S, E, or W as appropriate). Points may also be defined in decimal format (DD.DDDD DD.DDDD).

The format is described below.

Points are plotted by writing them as such:

350216N 964717W Joes Place|NOLABEL
325455N 963746W Edgar
344705N 953806W IBM

You may suffix them with a | symbol (pipe) and write NOLABEL, NOBOX, or both to prevent those attributes from appearing on the map.

Lines

Lines start with %START. From there on all points will be connected with a line. To turn line mode off and go back to points, use %END. To start a new line, write %START again (an %END is not required). You may write comments on the end; these will not be plotted if line mode is on.

%START
322540N 960710W Leadout N
322846N 960705W
324751N 960601W
322221N 960748W
332652N 960055W

The above example plots a line from five points.

Using shortcuts

Shortcuts are performed by prefixing an asterisk in a point title (when point mode is on). These may then be invoked by placing the title in brackets. Bracketed items will be replaced with the coordinates of the point where it was defined earlier.

This will plot a line from "Baker" to points in between and ending at "Charlie".

332217N 960758W *BAKER|NOLABEL
334910N 960327W *CHARLIE

%START
[BAKER]
332540N 960710W
332846N 960705W
333331N 960709W
333728N 960720W
334549N 960707W
334555N 960636W
334617N 960629W
334751N 960601W
334813N 960519W
334905N 960334W
[CHARLIE]
britbob

Post by britbob »

Thanks Tim,

I sent you an email a few days ago. I know you probably have a ton of requests, not sure how much of a job this would be?

Is there any possibility of adding a save setting to the time selection feature in workchart. For example I have surface set to `all`, however I run daws from via a remote desktop and occasional need to reboot windows. This obviously shuts down daws, and upon restart these setting go back to default. It`s kind of frustrating when this is all automated on a schedule/task.[/quote]
severe storm_forecaster

Re: link missing

Post by severe storm_forecaster »

Tim:

There is no link to download the update from!

RG
Weasel

Re: link missing

Post by Weasel »

severe storm_forecaster wrote: There is no link to download the update from!
http://www.weathergraphics.com/dl
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

The "wave crest" contour labels look great, Tim!

Pat
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

This is looking better and better. I really really like:

* Contour labels are now plotted at the top of closed contours.

and i am hoping this is coming along good:

*Started preliminary work on importing GRIB2 data . This module does not work and will not plot, however the file will be handled with probably no errors since now the module is actually looking for GRIB2 data and separating it from the GRIB1 data.

One thing Tim, you might want to talk to Jeff with WINGRIDDS because he might have something already made to help the GRIB2 process! It is just an idea. His stuff might not work with DAWS though. But there is a chance and it will save a lot of work i would think!

Thanks again! Loving these updates! Ready for some Snow.. 4-8 inches here in the LUB!
britbob

Post by britbob »

Tim,

Any chance the right click could return soon? Kind of miss the convenience of moving/zooming the maps around etc.