Scheduler, Image Grabber and Auto Upload.

Discuss any other weather software not covered above, including data feeds, weather web pages, and more!
wxforecaster

Scheduler, Image Grabber and Auto Upload.

Post by wxforecaster »

Jeff,

You are doing a GREAT job on WINGRIDDS and support of the program is TOP NOTCH! Two thumbs up. This is one of the best weather Analysis programs that i have seen.

I went though the manual and worked on the program. The only thing i find this program to be weak in is Uploading images to the internet on a scheduler. Let me explain if you will, Digital Atmosphere has a very basic but extremely useful scheduler. All that i have to do is put in the time in which i want the script to run, and it does! But in that Script i have things that will execute, in this order:
1. download the file i need
2. digest the file so that the program can read the data
3 calls up a Map (which is a separate File), It is a bmp file.
4. The Data will Plot on the Map.
5. then a command will save JUST the image and store it on my Hard drive (it isnt print screen at all).
6. I repeat steps 3-5 about 75 times to make 75 images.
7. Now i upload those 75 images to my web server to be displayed. I would do this EVERY Hour with the RUC2 data.

I have the scripting down great. That isn't the problem. I just think if you could make something that i just mention easier for WINGRIDDS you will have lots of meteorologist HAPPY. I would prefer the Images to come out at PNG files! I know WINGRIDDS does most of it but i am just suggesting to make it Easier and Flow smoothly!

I want this program to help out my website during Severe weather season and this is what i need.. a Program like yours another with a EASY Scheduler!

I hope i didn't sound harsh at all. I just want to make this program EVEN Better!
jkrob

Post by jkrob »

Hey,

Thanks for all of you kind works reguarding WINGRIDDS. I'm always looking for ways to improve the program and all that it does.

Now then...

Noooo...your not asking for much ;-). Just kidding. Are you aware that WINGRIDDS already has an automatic execution capability? My perspective all along has been the following:

1) DA was probably designed to be able to do what it does in this area from the ground-up. The program structure was desgined to do that (this is just a guess, though). WINGRIDDS (& PCGRIDDS32) structure was inherited from the previous & origional designer. In order to accomplish what you have described (the way DA does it) would require a *complete* restructuring of the program. With me being the sole programmer & the amount of work involved, the ends do not justify the means. There are higher priority featurers I have received requests for, besides...

2) WINGRIDDS can already do what you want...just in a different way. Gee, I'm still suprised at time I get it to do what it does compaired to the origional PCGRIDDS. In DA, the burden of scheduling & execution is from within DA. In WINGRIDDS, the burden of scheduling & execution is from within Windows via the Scheduled Tasks section. GRIB download, File Conversion & WINGRIDDS exectuion to do a task can all be done through batch files being scheduled to execute at a specific time.

3) WINGRIDDS is free...DA starts at $99...knowadimean?

Anyways, like I said, Thanks for your thoughts & I'll keep them all in mind.

Thank you for your support,
Jeff Krob,
WINGRIDDS System Developer