Hurricane reconnaissance data

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
senorpepr

Hurricane reconnaissance data

Post by senorpepr »

Does anyone know if there is any way to import reconnaissance data into DA? I'd love to be able to draw up streamlines using HDOBs and/or RECCOs, have VDMs available for surface pressure, and even incorporate dropsondes from G-IV missions to better analyze the synoptic pattern.

I've tried manually converting HDOBs into BBXX (Ship) [hoping to at least utilize the SFMR pressures and the winds], but that didn't yield the greatest result. Only ~25% (at best) of the observations actually made it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas or if this may be planned for a future release.

Thanks.
Joseph Lanza

Post by Joseph Lanza »

This is interesting. I've never tried it. After you tried to convert to BBXX, into what file did you place the converted data and how did you try to import it into DA? Also, from where are you getting your HDOB and/or RECCO data?

It would be great if someone could find a away to import more hurricane data into DA. There are one or two other users of DA that regularly track hurricanes. Perhaps we could put our collective heads together and come up with a work-around.

JLL