RELEASED: V1.52 beta (SUPERSEDED)

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

RELEASED: V1.52 beta (SUPERSEDED)

Post by Tim Vasquez »

A new beta version is now available:
EQUINOX V1.52 26-Feb-09
http://www.weathergraphics.com/dl/da-eq ... 52-std.exe
(Standard version only; Professional not yet available)

- NEW FEATURE: User-defined analysis domain size. All Digital Atmosphere versions prior to this one used a fixed 30 x 30 domain. The user can choose a finer analysis resolution in File > Preferences > Analysis > Analysis Domain Size. About 50 x 50 is sufficient for most purposes; resolutions exceeding 100 x 100 will appear "noisy" and may require excessive filtering. It is not advisable to set the resolution finer than the resolution of the observation network, as this will cause mathematical noise.

- FIX: Fixed problem with blank okta station symbol being plotted if sky condition was unknown (oktas=10) in TrueType mode... this problem goes back through all Equinox versions.

- FIX: Fixed the Preferences form so that scroll bars (which may occur in certain Windows skins) will not appear. Could not test this inhouse.

- FIX: Established proper display of version number (V1.51 showed as V1.50)
There have been no reports of critical or serious errors, so tomorrow I will move this V1.52 version into an official release status, which means it will become the official version of Digital Atmosphere with an accompanying Professional version.

Tim
wxforecaster

Post by wxforecaster »

Who should we contact to get the new professional version? Or should we use the last E-mail sent with the username and password?
geophi

Post by geophi »

The wind chill bug, where it appears that the old (pre 2001) formula for wind chill is being used, still seems to be in the latest version.

Previous documentation of this here

showthread.php?t=1467

DA 2.0 and previous official version have the same output values, which are quite a bit cooler than the currently accepted output.

Documentation for the change along with officially accepted formula here

http://www.weather.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml
======================
Also, I still cannot view the pressure tendency symbols in true-type font mode. As documented here

showthread.php?t=1461

for the previous official version.

I installed DA 2.0 on a PC with WinXP Home where DA had never previously been installed. I installed it with administrative privileges. The pressure tendency symbols do not plot in true-type font mode. When opening the Weather Symbols true-type font in the Control Panel, it states File Size 23K, Version 1.00, Copyright 2002. As before, the NMC font mode does plot the symbols.
mbsarwin

Post by mbsarwin »

Installed DA2.0 in xp.

Tried the Gird 50x50. the maps output looks finer.

But the grid.txt output remained 30x30.

How do I get the 50x50 text output? Will it be in the same grid.txt or in some other file.

regards
mbsarwin
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Who should we contact to get the new professional version? Or should we use the last E-mail sent with the username and password?
If you have it, give it a try. If it no longer works contact us privately at:
http://www.weathergraphics.com/contact/
to sort it out.
Installed DA2.0 in xp. Tried the Gird 50x50. the maps output looks finer. But the grid.txt output remained 30x30.
This problem wasn't identified in testing so we didn't get a chance to fix it. We'll do that in the next version.
Also, I still cannot view the pressure tendency symbols in true-type font mode. As documented here.
I thought we had fixed that in the latest beta versions. Since 2.00 has already gone into official release status I'll start up a separate thread in the regular Digital Atmosphere forum to address this.

Also regarding wind chill formulas and heat index, I didn't get time to program these in; it still needs to be done.

Tim