Fleetcode problem

Strictly for sharing scripts used in Digital Atmosphere and getting assistance from other users.
carseman

Fleetcode problem

Post by carseman »

I am posting this on behalf of "Budgie" , well known and trusted from several forums, most notably the Weather Display forum. His registration on this forum is taking a little while to be confirmed.
Chris

Quote:
I got DA about a month ago and have created a surface pressure & wind vector chart that I'm uploading to my site. I would like to add the Fronts onto the pressure chart but I can't seem to get the Fleetcode data to download. DA looks for the data set but just finds a blank page when I use the following in the script:

download,http://ftp.hb-yacht.ch/ASXX21.@D@S00,C:\Documents and Settings\.....etc etc

I can find the data if I replace the "@D@S00" with the correct date & synop time but DA doesn't seem to do this with the coding.

Any assistance to get this working would be appreciated.
britbob

Post by britbob »

You probably have your scheduler set at the wrong times for the Fleetcode. See my post a little bit further down about Fleetcode times.

Good luck with the forum registration, Tim doesn`t come on here much anymore.
Peter

Fleetcode download problems

Post by Peter »

I agree, and download Fleetcode everyday at 2100 GMT for the 1800 synoptic hour.
Generally wait at least 2 hours after synoptic hour before trying to download Fleetcode as it isn't always available until 1-2 hours later.

The script is fine and I use exactly the same syntax without problems.

Regards Peter
Budgie

Re: Fleetcode problem

Post by Budgie »

Hi All,

Thanks to Chris for posting this for me and to those who have answered so far, also thanks to Tim for updating the forum and now that I can post then I can explain the problem a little better.

I still don't seem to be able to get DA to download the Fleetcode, it looks for it but doesn't actually download anything.
Here's the code that I'm trying to use:

Code: Select all

download,http://ftp.hb-yacht.ch/ASXX21.@D@S00,C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\DigitalAtmosphere\data\front.wmo
ingest,C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\DigitalAtmosphere\data\front.wmo
ANALYZE,HILO CONT CINT=4 COLOR=255:000:000 LINE=2 SLPR
product,wxp,0,fronts
stamp
I run DA v2.07 after WXSim and upload the forecasts from WXSim and the charts from DA at the same time.
DA currently runs at the following times:
2350, 0250, 0550, 0850, 1150, 1405, 1750 and 2150 (these times are all UTC +1)

I'm still new to DA so there's a good chance that I've got something wrong somewhere. Peter, I read you posts about the timing of the downloads, would DA not just pick up the latest one on the site and what are the best times for downloading the Fleetcode?

Thanks again,

Martin.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Martin,

I download many files at the same time and therefore use a download script but part of that script is for Fleetcode as follows:

download,http://ftp.hb-yacht.ch/ASXX21.@D@S00,C:\Documents and Settings\etc etc
download,http://www.uradio.ku.dk/~ct/eurovejr/EU ... \Documents and Settings

along with Upper Air, Metar, Fleetcode I 'ingest' all files and fronts are drawn in DA map.

I only download once per day at 2200hrs GMT and 99% of the times Fleetcode fronts are displayed after selection of Data>Fleetcode>Fronts. I am not sure how often they are updated.

Peter
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

Hi Peter,

I already produce a surface pressure chart (without fronts) and a wind vector chart for my website so I just need to add this into this code.

I've done a little research and it seems that the synoptics are produced every 6 hours.
So if I try altering the times on a couple of runs to, say, 0410, 1010, 1610 and 2210 and see what that produces.

I want try & stay away from running DA on the hour as there are other programs running processes at that time and I don't want reduce the level of resources available on the PC.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Martin,

after your line:
ingest,C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\DigitalAtmosphere\data\front.wmo

add the Fleetcode plotting command FLEETF
and fleetcode fronts will be plotted provided they have been downloaded, that is.

the following test script works fine here:
#script to display SLP & Fleetcode
ANALYZE,HILO CONT CINT=4 COLOR=050:050:050 LINE=2 SLPR
FLEETF

The plotting commands are:
FLEET
Plots all fleetcode information.
FLEETHL
Plots fleetcode bulletins with only highs and lows.
FLEETF
Plots fleetcode bulletins with only fronts.
FLEETI
Plots fleetcode bulletins with only isobars.
from DA Help manual.

I find I can receive fleetcodes anytime between 2100-2300 GMT as I manually download files when out at sea, as I am in the north Sea at present. Manual downloads are necessary as ourdial-up speed internet drops in and out and it isn't possible to schedule downloads due to the variability of access to internet.

Regards Peter
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

Just to close this one down.........
As you said Peter, when I added FLEETF into the script it worked fine. :mrgreen:

So, thanks for the input and thanks to Chris for posting it for me in the first place.