Great idea about unix version

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
rochelle

Great idea about unix version

Post by rochelle »

Tim,

It's a great idea to make a Unix version of DA. I hope that we can install DA Unix remotely, via shell. This way we can make generation of maps automatically by cronjob.

Greetings
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Thanks. We haven't had any pre-orders yet, so I expect it may be awhile before a Unix version is available. If someone ponies up cash for 15 registrations, however, I don't see a problem with it being released right away.

Tim Vasquez
rik wessels

DODS-server support for DA ??

Post by rik wessels »

Tim , wouldn't be possible to incorporate the data as used by GrADS into DA ??

I don't know if there ae copyright - isues with this , but I somehow doubt it since the whole GrADS - software is offered as open source . This data is , as it seems , much more usable to make forecast - charts as it is now the up and coming data-format for retrieving model-data and plotting forecast-charts . We now still have to use GrADS for this , which makes use of a scripting language and isn't very user-friendly , as opposed to DA . Just an idea though : I have absoloutely no idea about the amount of coding that would be involved , but I can imagine it's pretty complex .
On the issue of making a linux - version of DA : that's a great idea , and I'm sure lots of Linux users will welcome it .For informtion on the data-format used by GrADS and the DODS-server software I must direct to :
http://grads.iges.org/grads/index.html

Which you will be aware of already of course , but maybe some other members aren't :wink:
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

rik wessels wrote:Tim , wouldn't be possible to incorporate the data as used by GrADS into DA ??
No, they're totally different programs that have different foundations, algorithms, and data structures. There is no way this could be done.

Tim Vasquez