Getting back up to speed

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Re: Getting back up to speed

Post by Tim Vasquez »

The software is definitely not being neglected -- I use it constantly, and I do appreciate your persistance in sticking around with these delays. The issue is time, as I'm spread thin with contract work, books, and a 6-year old that we're homeschooling. That said, I don't want to be backed into a corner about this as upgrades and improvements are not an entitlement (when you register, you license that version, not future versions), but as a practicing meteorologist I am always interested in upgrading the software and as that happens and my time gets better (especially now that I am in a larger dedicated office) everyone will benefit.

Digital Atmosphere work started earlier this month. There will definitely be an update this month and the interface may be improved somewhat too. A few scripting commands will also be added.

Shannon (my wife, who is a programmer and meteorologist too) is busy developing a parallel weather forecasting application, and it should run on Mac, Linux, and Windows -- and it may become a successor to Digital Atmosphere. I can't release any details about that project yet, but this will be be in demand once it's out.

Tim
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

College of DuPage's radar directory was down for the past 1-2 weeks which caused some problems with Digital Atmosphere accessing radar data. The issue has been fixed today at their server.

Tim
metservices

Post by metservices »

I could really use both yours and your wife's apps on sun - mon in NW AL - lol :-) John

I could never get DAW Pro updated and had to uninstall and reinstall original CD.

Post by wxforecaster »

Tim Vasquez wrote:
Digital Atmosphere work started earlier this month. There will definitely be an update this month and the interface may be improved somewhat too. A few scripting commands will also be added.

Tim

Just wondering if the update is done yet? It is now November and you said "There will definitely be an update this month". It is now the start of November.

Let us know please.

Jon
metservices

Post by metservices »

Tim and his wife must be very busy??? - John
MarKel

Post by MarKel »

I'm planning to buy a DA license but not sure when i read this topic and the announced new release.
can anybody inform me of the current status ?

i think i can get more people enthousiast when i can also give some info about a new release and support requests

regards,

Marcel
The Netherlands
nouvelle5

Post by nouvelle5 »

There is some uncertainty at the moment where that is concerned.

car games fishing games zombie games typing games ninja games
forecaster4434

Post by forecaster4434 »

Hey everyone...

I was just wondering if anyone knows when -- or if -- there will be an update to DA. I've heard many "stories" about a new update forthcoming, but all that ends up being is a lot of hype, and as a longstanding customer, I am once again deeply concerned about this. Now I fully understand that Tim is focusing more on books these days then anything else, and that he and the wife are raising a child and such. But my question here is -- where does the DA customer fit in? I'm generally not a person to rant, but I feel this neglect of updates to a software package has gone on years too long! Maybe updates are not an entitlement as Tim said on here awhile back, but good business practice has always been to "keep the customer satisfied".

Alright, rant over. If anyone has any information, pass it along! Thanks.

R
metservices

Post by metservices »

I wondered how Shannon is coming with her software and Tim as well - I know they have been extremely busy with many tasks - family, business and much more - Tim or Shannon if you have time please give us a quick update please? Thanks - John
LaurierWilliams

Post by LaurierWilliams »

I wrote to Tim and posed this question a while back, and received the following response on 11 May. It offers me, as a long-time and intensive user of DA, hope for the future. Now to get the list of suggested improvements going...
We are moving toward a different compiler so we can support Mac and Linux too, and we are trying to figure out whether we want to go with RealBasic or some other language. Once this is done, the updates will definitely resume, especially since this is my line of work and there are no greener pastures to move on to, as far as I'm concerned. At this point it's mostly just a time issue of when the work starts. My Weather Analysis & Forecasting book was completed last month, which took many, many weeks, and this week we are building a classroom, and after that my time is free.

Tim