Alternate wx font - much larger wx symbols - file now linked

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
Wally

Alternate wx font - much larger wx symbols - file now linked

Post by Wally »

Ooops. I forgot to include the link: http://weatherroanoke.com/meteo.ttf

Here is an adapted version of the weathersymbols font that enlarges many wx symbols for easy reading, especially when using smaller sizes for large maps.
This is not a criticism of the original font (which may be desirable for many folks). It was a feat for Tim to create such a font originally.

NOTE: BACKUP original font. --For some reason when I put new font in my Windows 10 FONT folder, the WeatherSymbols font does not show up in the FONT directory. But, it is working. Maybe someone can figure that out for me. Use at your own risk. I'm quite sure that dragging older font back in folder will make it "show."

Sample:

texsky

Re: Alternate wx font - much larger wx symbols - file now li

Post by texsky »

Wally,

Thanks for this updated symbols file. It's a definite improvement.
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

That looks pretty impressive. Does it still look good if the surface plot sizes are scaled up? I might be interested in buying it from you for use as an official font for the software, if it's available.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Yes. Here is a sample with larger size. It is not "blown up" but is actual size (just a large chart).
Oh, I'd be happy to send it to you, or you can download it in prior post. I just doctored "your" font that came with program. So, it's really your font. Use it as yours if you like it.
Just know it isn't a work totally completed. 4-star snow still needs to be worked on. But, not much if any more characters. And, I may tweak distance of some symbols from center of plot.

Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The original font I developed back in 2003, but since I'm not a font expert I passed it on to a typeface designer from Rentacoder to fix it up. They did a decent job but I guess you get what you pay for.. improving the font has been on the to-do- list for some time. I'll check it out.

With the font handling, I can't duplicate it here. However if Digital Atmosphere is plotting the fonts correctly that means Windows knows about the font with the font name given, and is servicing it correctly. I might suggest some of the remedies here: https://www.google.com/search?q=font+does+not+show

Note that there are two methods of bringing up the font listings in Windows: Control Panel > Fonts, and Windows Settings > Personalization > Fonts, which have different presentations. If you find out any other info, feel free to let me know.

Tim
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Taking a quick look at a font comparison, it looks the same. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for the changes?