1.0m map problem

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
jrader

1.0m map problem

Post by jrader »

I'm still having problems genrating a united states map after generating any map other than the default. Doing so crashes DAW. I have saved that map so I can get back to it.

I can generate state and US region maps but not a whole US map.

My DAW is on a win98se box.
Roy Leep

Same here

Post by Roy Leep »

Yep that is what my earlier posts have said. Certain map generations crash the program. This particularly refers to the US map at larger sizes.

You were fortunate to have saved the default map.

Maybe this is a Win98 problem, but I have no such difficulty with the ole DA.

Roy
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Unfortunately I am not able to duplicate any of these map generation errors on my machine.

I will add some troubleshooting code to the next version to see where the problem is but before I can do this I will need an exact description of WHEN the error occurs chronologically (after what click? before/after the map is drawn? is the map erased yet? etc)

Tim
Roy Leep

US MAP FAILURE

Post by Roy Leep »

OK Tim just for you. Just tried to do a US map "Quick Pick" "Snoptic " over 750X550 over a small loaded US map. The routine starts and the base underlay for the US and Mexico finish then the borders for Mexico finish and then CRASH. I have not been able to produce a US map larger than 750X 550. I have had other maps fail at the larger sizes too. I have not been able to duplicate the default US map that came with the program (unfortunately I erased it)

In addition:

On the samller North American maps there is an extraneous border line extending from the east coast of Canada southeastward across the Atlantic.

Hope this helps.

Roy
wxhed

US MAP FAILURE

Post by wxhed »

I am using windows 98. When I chose the generate map function, it begins, and then I get that white prompt informing me of an error with the "Close" or "Ignore" buttons. I've tried the ignore button, but it's unresponsive. I pick close, the program closes and then I get that "illegal function" prompt for digital atmosphere. I click ok and can re open and run the program ok, so long as I don't generate any maps.
Frank Freed

Post by Frank Freed »

Tim
This Map Generation Problem sounds like a Windows 98 to Digital Atmosphere problem only.

1. Click Generate New Map.
2. At Quick Pick, Click Drop Down Box>By Location preset>United States (Northeast).
3. Click OK button.
4. Result: Error Dialoge Box; Ignore button does not work; Close button works.
5. Click Close button; Another Error Dialoge Box; This time an Illegal Operation Message.
6. Click Close button; Lose Digital Atmosphere.

Here Tim is another example:

1. Click Zoom Out button to generate a new map.
2. Click Zoom In button to generate a new map. Result: Zoom In created a error message; Again Ignore button does not work; Close button works.
3. Click Close button; Another Error Dialoge Box; This time an Illegal Operation Message.
4. Click Close button; Lose Digital Atmosphere.
5. Reopen Digital Atmosphere.
6. Click Load map button.
7. Click Maps button in the Open Dialoge Box.
8. Click and open United States.
9. Click Import File button.
10. Click for Raw Data.
11. Click Overlay Plot button.
12. Click Erase Map button. Result: Erased United States map and reloaded the North America map.

Hope this helps Tim.

Frank
Peter Bartlett

Post by Peter Bartlett »

I am not sure whether this helps or not but I also use windows 98 2nd ed, and have tried to replicate these problems. My PC is a P4 2Mhz 500mb Ram. Running DAWS V1.00M.

By following the same process, Map>Generate Map>Quick Pick map size 750x550 and selecting either US, US North West or US South West the map generates perfectly each time.
Frank Freed

Post by Frank Freed »

For Windows 98 Users,
By using:

Generate new map>Quick Pick>By location preset

Check for error messages for the following locations:

United States (Northeast)
Canada (Arctic)
Canada (East)
Atlantic Ocean (Transcontinental)

Frank
Peter Bartlett

Post by Peter Bartlett »

Frank,

As requested I have tried all 4 and they all load ok on my PC, using windows 98 & DAWS 1.0M.

If I can provide any further information I will try and assist.
Wally Mayo

Post by Wally Mayo »

I"m using Windows XP, and the symptoms show up for me like this:

Create a map (any map, let's call it #1), & save it.
Create map #2, and save it.
Load map #1, do a plot.
Do ERASE.
Instead of map #1 appearing (all clear), map #2 (the last saved base map will always appear with ERASE regardless of what map is loaded).

That's it. It's been happening since the beginning, or at least since I started looking at betas ... around version d.