plotting METAR only for specific cities

This is the place to get help with Digital Atmosphere, suggest improvements, and get tips.
rochelle

plotting METAR only for specific cities

Post by rochelle »

Hello,

I liked the new DA workstation and I have a question. Over an european map I need to plot only french METAR, I don't want to see data over Spain, UK, Italy, Germany. How can I do it ?

Rochelle
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

This is a most unusual request. There is no way to do this besides selecting all stations in Spain, UK, etc and using File > Quality Control to delete each of them one by one. The only other way is to arrange with your data source somehow to only get French observations. Maybe the French meteorological service has a server with only national observations.

Tim
Wally Mayo

Post by Wally Mayo »

Couldn't he go into the digatmos.stn and just delete all but the French stations, save it, recompile, then plot?

Of course, one should BACK UP the digatmos.stn file so in the future, all stations are possible again.
Peter Creswick

Post by Peter Creswick »

I asked something similar a long time ago back in DA2000 days.

Tim, in DA2000 there is a file (forget which one off hand) which IGNORES certain stations.

What we need here is the opposite, ie, a file (which will have to be user editable) which ONLY RECOGNISES a list of stations.

Then, each individual user could enter the stations he wants to plot.

Next step, that file will have to be "switchable" ON or OFF, ie, so that when data is downloaded and imported, when DA processes the imported data, if the file is "OFF" it reads every station as it does now, but if that file is toggled "ON" it only fetches the sations listed out of the imported data, and then processes as per normal.

Should be easily doable.

Why not ?
Tim Vasquez
Administrator

Post by Tim Vasquez »

Yes, Wally is correct that one could just edit digatmos.stn and delete everything but French stations, then File > Recompile Tables. Of course that makes the software useless for anything except French data, but it is extremely effective and just might be the right thing to do.

The function that preferentially plots files is the DIGATMOS.PRI file. However that doesn't prevent others from plotting. Also there is the DIGATMOS.RUL file that changes the behavior of plotting (I cannot recall whether one can wipe out a station, but it would have to be done one at a time and I believe there is a size limit). Strange that this program has gotten so big that I have trouble remembering portions of it... then again it is 62,000 lines of code. I don't think either DIGATMOS.RUL or DIGATMOS.PRI will help for the French request.

Thanks for the additional suggestions... these are good ones that I'll add to my work folder.

Tim